Trade Contractor Design-Build Award
Terms of Reference
Trade contractors have often become active members of the design-build project team, bringing ideas and insight to complex projects. The Canadian Design-Build Institute (CDBI) recognizes the role of trade contractors taking part in Canadian design-build projects with design and construction responsibilities.
- The Trade Contractor Design-Build Award will be presented annually by the CDBI. Commencing in 2017, the purpose is to recognize excellence in Canada’s design-build industry and to acknowledge design-build teams whose projects contribute to the growth and stature of the design-build community. The winner(s) shall demonstrate the highest standards and principles in the design-build industry and the business community in pursuit of excellence.
- Project submittals will be evaluated on extent of design-build practice applied and on the success achieved in attaining the owner’s/user’s project goals. Submittals will also be evaluated for their success in implementing design-build best practices. Special emphasis will be placed on the design team’s use of innovation to add value. “Innovation” includes the use of new systems, methods and processes that lower cost or improve the efficiency/speed, safety, quality, and use of technology in executing the project. Also important is the design quality of the project with aesthetics, functionality, and life cycle being key considerations.
- The firm who submits is required to be a paid in full member of CDBI.
- Projects must have been performed under a single contract between the owner/user/ or the design-builder.
- Projects must have been completed during the previous 5 years.
- Entrants will be allowed to make more than one submittal.
- A jury of impartial experts will judge the submittals and chose the winner. At the discretion of the jury, additional awards can be presented in any category. The CDBI Executive Director together with the Nomination Committee shall appoint the jury. The jury will include whenever possible owner and professional association representatives.
- The award may not be presented in any year in which, in the opinion of the jury, no suitable submission has been received.
- The categories will be decided as the submittals are sent in. The jury shall decide the number of categories in any given year.
- The decision of the jury shall be final and not subject to appeal.
The following information is required in the submission of a project for the Trade Contractor Design-Build Award.
- Project name, project address and completion date.
- Name, address, email, and telephone number of the contact person for:
• Design consultants
• Trade contractor (with design-build role)
• Other design-build team members significant to submittal